Tuesday, March 11, 2014

A Dogs Walk

"Write about your walk with the dog... In the dog's voice." 


This is how it all started, a few weeks ago, when my husband took it upon himself to be my accountability partner and encourage me to write. I was procrastinating with my writing this past year and I vocalized my disappointment, in myself to my loving and supportive husband, and he gave me this first writing prompt. 

"Write about your walk with the dog... In the dog's voice." 

A few people have shown interest in wanting to read what I have written, but this is not a place to just showcase my own writing. A few greenhorn writers have come out of the wood work this past week and have shown an interest in taking on my husbands challenging prompts. This blog is a place for novice writers, like myself, to share our creations, practice and learn the art of writing. A place for us to encourage one another and be accountability partners on our story telling journey's.

So, my first noteworthy prompt to you is...

Write about walking a dog (your own or a fictitious one), but in the dog's point of view. 

It must be more than a paragraph, but less then 2 pages. When you're ready and feel that it's noteworthy and want to share it. Let me know and I will post it (please remember that this is a kid friendly blog - be respectful - stories that are not... will not be posted).

Here is my attempt with this noteworthy prompt (I wrote it out like a screenplay, so be unique in your writing style and think out of the box):


ANGEL’S MORNING
Screenplay by Anuschka de la Court


FADE IN:
INTERIOR (INT). ANGEL’S SOFA - LIVING ROOM - EARLY MORNING

ANGEL lies on the sofa waiting. Her head rests on the clean piled up single socks at the end of the armrest. She sighs deeply and grunts.

ANGEL (VOICE OVER - V.O)

I didn’t get to sleep in my own bed last night. I’m feeling neglected. They don’t love me anymore. I don’t even know what I did wrong?

INT. LIVING ROOM - EARLY MORNING

The sound of footsteps thump down the upstairs hallway and ANGEL raises her head and cocks it to one side to listen.

ANGEL (V.O)

Finally movement! My pack family sure do like to sleep in. Except my pack leader, who they call Dad, he gets up very early… way too early for me.

INT. STAIRWAY/LIVING ROOM - EARLY MORNING

Pack Leader, MOM, heads down the stairs shaking her head in annoyance. Leaving behind teenage hormones and chaos in the upstairs bathroom. ANGEL stretches, yawns and slowly gets up off the sofa and walks towards Pack MOM as she reaches the bottom step. Pack MOM stops to cuddle ANGEL.

MOM

Aw, honey… Did you sleep down here all night? Poor pup. You should have come up to my bed poohpet.

ANGEL (V.O)

I love you. I’m glad you’re up. Will we go for a walk soon? I have to go pee.


INT. LIVINGROOM/DINING ROOM - EARLY MORNING

ANGEL heads towards the sliding doors that open up to the backyard. She whines and scratches the glass with her front paw. Pack MOM follows.

ANGEL (V.O)

Quickly MOM! I really have to go!


EXTERIOR (EXT). DYKE AT THE END OF 216TH STREET - MORNING

ANGEL jumps out of a little red Toyota corolla station wagon. She runs to a post and sniffs then runs back to Pack MOM who just finishes closing the car doors.

ANGEL (V.O)

Do you know who was here Mom? Sadie was here! Well, not right now… a couple of days ago. The rain didn’t wash the smell off yet…
And guess what! I smell Pippy and me from yesterday! This is fantastic! Are we going to follow the same route? Follow me Mom.

EXT. DYKE - MORNING

It begins to drizzle, as ANGEL and MOM make their way north along the dyke between the two blueberry farms. ANGEL excitedly jumps and runs through the tall grass along the west side of the dyke scaring three ducks and herself along the way. As the ducks fly off, ANGEL returns to MOM’s side.

ANGEL (V.O)

I didn’t see those guys there. Whew! My heart feels like it’s beating out of my chest. Is that ok Mom?

EXT. DYKE - MORNING

MOM gives ANGEL a reassuring hug and rub. Then she dashes off again in search of new and wonderful scents.
Drizzle turns to rain as the two of them continue along the dyke in an easterly direction towards the Equine Center. ANGEL sprints about down towards the waters edge following an animals path, then back up towards her MOM’s side. Foam forms around ANGEL’s mouth making her look as if she has rabies. A long piece of foamy drool hangs down the right side of her face, and as she comes up out of the bushes and shakes the excess water off her back the drool whips up across her face leaving a stripe of foam from the right side of her nose up to just under her left eye. ANGEL runs up behind her MOM and rubs her face on her MOM’s clean blue jeans.

MOM

Ew! Gross Angel!


ANGEL (V.O)

Sorry… So many great smells, Mom. Don’t you smell them? I feel so good here. I’m in the place I was born to be in. I’m doing what I was born to be doing. I’m living MOM. How about you?

FADE OUT:



FINI






No comments:

Post a Comment